Hi,

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 01:16:11AM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> Maybe it would indeed be easiest to do an in-tree build, but in my
> opinion, it should not matter whether one builds in-tree or not.

Indeed, this works, provided I set bothe the RDBASE and PYTHONPATH
environment variables to the top-level source directory before running
the test suite (before, I set RDBASE to the top-level source directory,
and PYTHONPATH to the build directory, after copying over all python
files to the build directory).

However, this way, some binary files in CMakeFiles (apparently some
leftovers from some checks, like CMakeFiles/CompilerIdC/a.out or
CMakeFiles/CompilerIdCXX/a.out) do not get removed on clean, as well as
Code/Geometry/junk.bin.

Further, all the cmake files stay after clean (see attached list of
files, if it makes it past the sourceforge mail server); maybe this is
an artifact of building in-tree (usually one just removes the build
directory on clean, which is not possible now), the cmake generated
Makefile does not seem to have a "distclean" target, though.

Anyway, it is not a big problem in order to build the Debian packages,
just slightly inelegant in my opinion.

Having some cmake rules which copy over the python files to the
corresponding directory under the build directory would fix this I
guess. Putting the python byte-code into the source-tree even for
out-of-build trees looks wrong to me anyway.

Michael