I started with CVS, switch to svn, tried to learn git which made my head
explode. However, for some odd reasons I didn't gave up on git, and one day
it make click. Since then I switched everything to git and never looked
back. I agree, when you come from CVS and svn, git changes your way of
thinking. It is probably easier to start right away with git - but its
concept is more logic.