Le 11/03/2016 10:38, Giuseppe Marco Randazzo a écrit :
An example can be the case of this isomerism is given by triphenylphosphorane (Witting reagents).

Wittig reagents with their three identical phenyl groups on the phosphorus atom
do not present any intriguing configuration problem around the P=C bond,
contrarily to the compound that it was about in Greg's first message on this topic.

I also wanted to point out that chirality is not necessarily centered on an atom
but may be axial, like in allenes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_chirality

All the best,

Jean-Marc

Here i give to you some publications were can find a clear publication about cis/trans isomerism and the importance.

[1] Conformation isomerism and coupling constants of formylmethylene triphenylphosphorane (C6H5)3P=CH-CHO Comptes Rendus des Seances de l'Academie des Sciences, Serie C: Sciences Chimiques (1970), 270, (21), 1747-9.

[2] Structural and conformational analysis of 2-triphenylphosphoranylidene succinic acid derivatives by 1H, 13C and 31P one and two dimensional NMR spectroscopy and molecular modelling Radu Bacaloglu, Andrei Blaskó, Clifford A. Bunton, Giorgio Cerichelli, Fernando Castaneda and Enrique Rivera
J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 2, 1995, 965-972
DOI: 10.1039/P29950000965

[3] Favoured conformations of methyl iso­propyl, ethyl iso­propyl, methyl tert-butyl, and ethyl tert-butyl 2-(tri­phenyl­phospho­ranyl­idene)malonate

[4] Conformations of diester tri­phenyl­phospho­nium ylides with an ylidic ester or keto and ester ylidic groups

Best regards
Marco