Dear RDKitters,

I would appreciate any comments on the following:

I am looking at the 'SureChEMBL iPython Notebook Tutorial'
http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/rdkit/UGM_2014/blob/master/Notebooks/Vardenafil.ipynb

following along with rdkit '2016.03.1' on OSX

In Cell 142, there is this SMILES:

MCS SMILES: O=C1:N:C(C2:C:C:C:C:C:2):N:N2:C:[*]:C:C:1:2
This is a representation of a generalized structure, not any particular
molecule.

It was generated with Chem.MolToSmiles(mcsM,isomericSmiles=True)

But when I try
Chem.MolFromSmiles('O=C1:N:C(C2:C:C:C:C:C:2):N:N2:C:[*]:C:C:1:2')

I get "RDKit ERROR: [14:11:32] Explicit valence for atom # 1 C, 5, is greater
than permitted"

So there is no "round-trip" possible here.

Which behavior is "correct", given the aromaticity and structure as specified?
Should this be rendering/creating molecule, or failing?

Thanks!

(MarvinSketch does display the SMILES without complaints.;
image is attached)

Dmitri