From: Greg Landrum <greg.land...@gmail.com>
To: James T. Metz <jamestm...@aol.com>
Cc: RDKit Discuss <rdkit-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Mon, Sep 11, 2017 11:15 am
Subject: Re: [Rdkit-discuss] how to output multiple Kekule structures

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 5:55 PM, James T. Metz <jamestm...@aol.com> wrote:

Greg,

    I need to be able to use SMARTS patterns to identify substructures in
molecules
that can be aromatic, and I need to be able to handle cases where there can be
differences in the way that the molecule was entered or drawn by a user.

That particular problem is a big part of the reason that we tend to use the
aromatic representation of things.

    For example, consider the following alkenyl-substituted pyridine, there
are two possible Kekule structures

    m1 = 'C=CC1=NC=CC=C1'
    m2 = 'C=CC1N=CC=CC1'

Fixing what I assume is a typo for m2, I can do the following:

In [11]: m1 = Chem.MolFromSmiles('C=CC1=NC=CC=C1')

In [12]: m2 = Chem.MolFromSmiles('C=CC1N=CC=CC=1')

In [13]: q1 = Chem.MolFromSmarts('cccc')

In [14]: q2 = Chem.MolFromSmarts('cccn')

In [15]: list(m1.GetSubstructMatch(q1))
Out[15]: [2, 7, 6, 5]

In [16]: list(m1.GetSubstructMatch(q2))
Out[16]: [6, 5, 4, 3]

In [17]: list(m2.GetSubstructMatch(q1))
Out[17]: [2, 7, 6, 5]

In [18]: list(m2.GetSubstructMatch(q2))
Out[18]: [6, 5, 4, 3]

Those particular queries were going for the aromatic species and will only
match inside the ring, but if you want to be more generic you could tune your
queries like this:

In [28]: q3 =
Chem.MolFromSmarts('[#6;$([#6]=,:[*])]-,=,:[#6;$([#6]=,:[*])]-,=,:[#6;$([#6]=,:[*])]-,=,:[#6;$([#6]-=,:[*])]')

In [29]: q4 =
Chem.MolFromSmarts('[#6;$([#6]=,:[*])]-,=,:[#6;$([#6]=,:[*])]-,=,:[#6;$([#6]=,:[*])]-,=,:[#7;$([#7]-=,:[*])]')

In [30]: list(m1.GetSubstructMatch(q3))
Out[30]: [0, 1, 2, 7]

In [31]: list(m1.GetSubstructMatch(q4))
Out[31]: [0, 1, 2, 3]

In [32]: list(m2.GetSubstructMatch(q3))
Out[32]: [0, 1, 2, 7]

In [33]: list(m2.GetSubstructMatch(q4))
Out[33]: [0, 1, 2, 3]

If you aren't familiar with recursive SMARTS, this construct:
"[#6;$([#6]=,:[*])]" means "a carbon that has either a double bond or an
aromatic bond to another atom".  So you can interpret q3 as "four carbons that
each have either a double or aromatic bond and that are connected to each other
by single, double, or aromatic bonds".

Is this starting to approximate what you're looking for?
-greg

    Now consider two SMARTS

    pattern1 = '[C]=[C]-[C]={C]

    pattern2 = '[C]=[C]-[C]=[N]'

    I need to be able to detect the existence of each pattern in the molecule

    If m1 is the only available generated Kekule structure, then pattern2 will
be recognized.

    If m2 is the only available generated Kekule  structure, then pattern1 will
be recognized.

    Hence, I am getting different answers for the same input molecule just
because

it was drawn in different Kekule structures.

    Regards,

    Jim Metz