Hi Susan,

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 4:32 PM Susan Leung <susanhle...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just noticed this because I found other toolkits have the exact opposite
> behaviour. I can see the point of view from both sides.
>
> With other toolkits, we can search for chirally pure molecules; however,
> in RDKit we cannot (e.g. using @ in a query would return @, OR and AND).

You are correct that there's not currently a way to do a search such that
specified chirality is not a substructure match of enhanced stereo. That
would need to be done in a post-processing step and isn't trivial. That's
something we could add.

> Also it seems with RDKit, using a more general query e.g. OR, gives fewer
> hits than a more restrictive query e.g. ABS.

That's an interesting point which, I think, comes down to whether or not OR
(general) is a substructure of @ (specific). At the moment it's not, but I
think there's an argument to be made either way.

In case it's useful, here's a gist which shows the matching rules:
https://gist.github.com/greglandrum/29e3c72b401ed5d88726be05908f100f