To: "RE-wrenches" <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Fire Fighters

Andrew;

I think that in the future, the solution to the dilemma of entire roof aspects fully covered in PV vs. firefighter safety is going to be module-level control. Some shade mitigation systems already have it, including an "all stop" button at the system control center. I hope some electronic nerd somewhere is working on an inexpensive automated module safety cutout. If the unit cost were low enough, the economics might work out.

My fire department had to cut through a roof for ventilation in high winds just last week. It's horrible, dangerous work, and having access to the right location on the lee side, and a quick and safe escape route, are essential.

DAN FINK
Buckville Energy Consulting LLC
IREC/ISPQ accredited Continuing Education Provider

and...@solarenergyoregon.com wrote:
While the Content of the CalFire info is amazingly extensive, and the intentions behind it unequivocally laudable, where it limits rooftop availability of PVs, it is not so great and a needless catastrophic blow to the advancement of the photovoltaic industry in the United States of America. If the industry does not get its thoughts together around firefighter safety and rooftop availability for solar from a more solarcentric perspective, we will see more bad code like that recently passed in Oregon spread throughout the nation, well... like fire, that all but outlaws the installation of far too many residential systems.

Respectfully,

Andrew Koyaanisqatsi
President
Solar Energy Solutions, Inc.