I believe that generator wire sizing is not the same as theNEC wiring sizing
power coming from the utility. As the wiring /generator shorts the engine will
slow there by reducing the output current. IF if IS UL certified, then I see no
reason NOT to install the unit. You are not running those wires any distance,
no more then 18” to a disconnect device.
Large Kohler, Wisperwatt, Onans  units do have the 12 wires from the alternator
sized at 10 AWG to the breaker.