You first need to know your ground temperature. Then figure a delta to 100
or so degrees. Most but not all showerheads flow 2.5gpm and showers are
typically 10 minutes. You can then find a calculator online to calculate
how many Btus are required to raise water temp for your delta per gallon.
Convert to kWh, add some contingency and you should be good.

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018, <drake.chamber...@redwoodalliance.org> wrote:

> Hello Wrenches,
>
> Is there a good way to estimate the power that will be consumed for
> electric water per person per day? We are estimating the amount of power
> that will be used by an all electric duplex, and the water heater amount
> seems high. The current model we have claims 3493 kWh/ year per 26 gallon
> tank will be consumed. With the two units, that would add up to 6986 kWh /
> year for hot water, pushing the system size to humongous for a 1300 ft sq
> building.
>
> Does that seem high? There will be a maximum of 2 people per unit.
>
> The owner is considering going to 115 V units with a 15 gallon tanks. I
> think the smaller tank would help, but it would seem that the amount of hot
> water consumed would be the main issue.
>
> How can we get a good estimate for a per person energy usage for electric
> hot water? Any other suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Drake

Barton Churchill
406.587.5295