My experiences were mostly with Kohler and Generac water cooled models.  I had not heard about low temperature lockout.  I would probably disable that or use a generator without. Cars have essentially the same type of engine, and they do not need preheating except in extreme conditions. How long does the heater take to bring the temp up?  I would consider putting it on a prestart relay, so that it started preheating it only when the system was getting close to needing the generator.

Ray

On 4/9/18 9:18 PM, Kienan Maxfield wrote:
Ray,

That's not going to work for the Cummins RS water-cooled generators without some hacking. The water cooled models do use an antifreeze mixture so they can withstand temperatures down to -50°F without a heater, but they have a circuit that prevents the generator from even trying to start if the coolant is below a certain temperature. I don't remember what that temperature is but I know on mine its above 20° F. The air-cooled generators only use a small heater in the engine oil reservoir and there's an optional one under the battery. I know that the air-cooled models can start in colder temperatures without a heater than the water-cooled models. It is strongly recommended by Cummins to use the oil heater in the air-cooled models if the generator will get below 0°F, but the local techs recommend it for 15°F and below because the generators start easier if the oil is above 15°F. I've read that it also affects the overall longevity of the engine.

I live off-grid up in the mountains, and most of my customers are off-grid up in the mountains. I agree that this is far from ideal. If the generator could be installed in an underground bunker where it doesn't freeze, that would be nice. I just have to write it off as the cost of having a backup power source ready and waiting when it matters the most... when it's crazy cold outside.

Thanks,
Kienan
**
*From:* RE-wrenches <re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org> on behalf of Ray <r...@solarray.com>
*Sent:* Monday, April 9, 2018 7:14 PM
*To:* re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org
*Subject:* Re: [RE-wrenches] generator search

  We've had gen sets at 11,000 ft and way below zero start on propane for decades without using the block or water heaters. Ridiculous electric heating loads on the other hand are a very bad idea off grid.  Just make sure the propane supply lines are large enough so the pressure regulator doesn't freeze up.

Ray Walters

Remote Solar