Agree with Daryl here at the end. You have to solve the motor surge with
variable frequency drive and go 3 phase. If there is a reasonable cost to
use the grid I would not even bother with quoting an off the grid
solution. It is what the grid is best at and batteries are the wrong way
for this.

Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar
"we go where powerlines don't"
http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/