Howdy Wrenches,

I'm working on a generator powered mini-grid for an island fishing resort
in Alaska. They have 3 XW6048 inverter/chargers to charge batteries while
the diesel runs and power the loads from the batteries when the diesel
shuts down.

They have several high power heating loads not typically seen in
battery-based off-grid electrical systems. Two 4kW hot tub heaters and six
1kW infrared space heaters.  We have the 46 kW generator run-times set so
that the infrared heaters are (in theory) powered only while the generator
is running, but the hot tubs are thermostatically controlled and cycle on
and off every 4-5 hours or so.

I want to make it so that these big heating loads can never be powered from
the batteries, and will only come on while the generator is running.  The
current plan is to use the Auxillary output 12V terminals from one of the
XWs to control power relays to switch the hot tub circuits, based on
battery voltage triggers. One of those hot tub circuits is fed from the
main panel right next to the inverters so that is easy enough.  But the
other hot tub is fed from a sub-panel located in a different building
around 200 feet away from the inverters. Pulling a pair of wires to
control the second relay at that sub-panel is not practical.  So, I'm
looking for wireless options that could control a power relay for the hot
tub circuit in the remote sub-panel. Ideally, the control signal would come
from the same AUX terminal so both hot tubs will not receive power when the
battery voltage is below 50 volts or so, which would indicate that the
generator is not running.

I would also like to put the infrared heaters on a similar control system
so that we are not dependent on people remembering to switch off the
heaters before the generator shuts down.

Has any of you done this kind of thing?  Any suggestions on equipment or
best practices?  THANKS!

Eric Youngren