Allan S. sent follow up queries after my response to Drake's dilemma.
Allan's queries are pasted below.

Mick here: Sorry I didn't state my suggestion more clearly but, yes, in
this situation the only way to know if the battery is worth trying to
salvage is to pump it up nicely with a bunch of energy (meeting the battery
mfr's "full charge parameters" or as close as possible)...shut off the
generator & shut off the solar array...set the Tri-Metric (or other shunt
based monitor) to measure "amp hours from full" & make sure the counter is
starting at 0.00 amp hours from full...then impose loads on the battery
bank & let it all run until the inverter shuts off due to low battery
voltage. (The loads don't have to impose a steady "20 hour discharge rate"
& we're not trying for laboratory accuracy. To give the battery a fair
chance at proving its mettle, be sure the discharge rate is equitably
chosen for the battery type & temperature, etc. To be "equitable", the
servicing technician should run the test in a way that doesn't ask the
battery to perform miraculously...just to perform within its design
parameters.)

Allan correctly states that 1.75 volts per cell is the "industry standard"
discharge cut off point for lead acid batteries (@ 25 degrees C) so if the
system is 48v nominal, that's 24 cells X 1.75 = 42.0 volts as the setpoint
for the inverter's LBCO "low battery cutoff function". The amp-hour monitor
will display the number of amp-hours that the battery was able to deliver
before the inverter crashed on voltage & that value can be compared to the
original rated capacity. So...although I must have muddled my explanation,
Allan, the Tri-Metric type monitors can indeed measure & display the
battery's amp-hour capacity. One must eliminate solar recharge during the
test & any other variables such as generator run time...then there's only a
battery, an inverter, some loads, and the amp-hour counting gizmo.

>>An unhealthy battery will reach the failure point in a fairly short
amount of time & for a fairly small amount of labor.<< A semi-healthy
battery is a greater challenge because it takes longer to wring them out &
the service tech may opt to educate the client on how to complete the "pump
& dump" measurement after the tech leaves the site. If the client can be
persuaded to install a shunt & an amp-hour meter, they'll also have better
instrumentation in place to help them & their service technician down the
road. Some clients will want to try an EQ charge or other measures & the ah
counter will be able to display any improvements that result from those
efforts...or the lack of improvements.

As my Dutch solar buddy would say, "Meten is Weten": "Measuring is
Knowing." A battery based energy system owner who only has a DC voltmeter
is like a car owner whose only instrument is a tire pressure gauge.
Definitely some clients balk at the expense & new learning required to
retrofit a proper ah monitor, but better instrumentation may prove a good
value to them in the long run.

The Wrench List is the Bomb! Mick Abraham