Hi All,

As Larry said, when a lithium BMS disconnects, this causes a "load
dump" just like disconnecting a lead-acid battery.  Well-designed
chargers (solar or otherwise) should be able to handle this without
damage, though a failing or poorly-designed lithium battery may cause
this to happen many orders of magnitude more frequently than the
once-in-a-blue-moon that may occur with Pb systems.  I'd like to share
some pitfalls we learned back when we made lithium batteries in case
they are helpful to Dan in making his decision about the Li bank.

1. Load dump can mean different things to different chargers.  Solar
MPPTs, (boost MPPTs excluded) won't put out more than the solar Voc.
For mobile installations that may include alternator charging, a
"dumped" 12 or 24V alternator may put out 100V plus before the
alternator has a chance to respond and the field current can decay.
Mobile systems should have a mechanism to cut the field current before
popping the BMS relay.

2. Most chargers are not power supplies, and are designed to have a
battery attached as the proverbial 900lb gorilla to stabilize the
output voltage and buffer load transients.  BMSs should be configured
never to allow chargers and loads to be directly connected without a
battery present.  With no battery, load dump transients can destroy
sensitive loads, and brownouts or bus voltage instability is likely.
Best case is if the BMS has separate controls for charge and load
relays, but even with one control output, separate relays for chargers
and loads can prevent many problems.

3. Related to #2, most modern MPPTs use synchronous rectification in
their power stage.  This means that, fundamentally, they can pump
power into the array from the battery just as well as in the "normal"
direction.  It's only the controls that keep power flowing the correct
direction.  Let's say a one-relay 24V Li BMS disconnects, leaving
chargers and loads connected.  Say things brown out to 10V on the bus,
with the MPPT doing its best to keep things powered, and running from
75Vmp on the array.  BMS decides it's time to reconnect, relay closes,
bus voltage jumps back up to 26V and instantaneously, the MPPT power
stage is still set for a 7.5:1 ratio, so power will get pumped back
into the array, trying to push it up to 26V*7.5=195V, and if the MPPTs
control loop or protection circuits can't respond fast enough, pop go
the MOSFETs (depending on input rating of the MPPT).  Separate relays
for chargers and loads should prevent this, as most MPPTs will either
shut down or go to absorption when the battery is disconnected,
preventing the high buck ratios and problems on BMS reconnect.

4. As a side note, we get a fair number of tech support calls from Li
battery users complaining of over-voltage LED indications, etc. from
our MPPTs.  Almost invariably, this turns out to be a "don't shoot the
messenger" situation, where the lithium battery was never balanced at
the factory (etc.), and is disconnecting, and our controllers are
notifying the user of the problem.  Usually a little customer
education (and patience during cell balancing) solves the problem.

Thank you as always, Wrenches, for all the knowledge you share on this list.

Alex MeVay

Blue Sky Energy * http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com
Genasun * http://www.genasun.com