If you use an AC combiner upstream of the disconnecting means with individual OCPDs as required, then you have your individual disconnection and that is required and has been practiced for many code cycles. A circuit breaker OCPD is a code compliant disconnecting means. I cannot imagine anyone using an AC combiner method and not using OCPDc. Using a disconnecting means to then disconnect downstream AFTER an AC combiner is of course allowed. Chris Warfel

/

On 2/27/2019 1:48 PM, William Miller wrote:

Chris:

The 2014 code would require individual disconnecting means prior to aggregation, i.e. an AC combiner.  Therefore your scenario would not exist.

Wm

*From:*RE-wrenches [mailto:re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org <mailto:re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org>] *On Behalf Of *Christopher Warfel
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 27, 2019 10:43 AM
*To:* re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org <mailto:re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>
*Subject:* Re: [RE-wrenches] Multiple inverters

I know I keep popping up on this, but 2014 makes no sense if it is saying to connect multiple inverters to one disconnect. It would be difficult and dangerous to take one out of service for any reason including replacement. I would that that you'd have to shut down all the inverters just to replace one. Some of the large commercial/industrial/utility systems have hundreds of inverters and there is no way they would install a system to this interpretation of the NEC.