Ray
Yes you can have a GFI trip as a result of something on the AC side, I had
a hard line data line cause a trip of a GFI even though you would not see
anything on a meter, had to use a optical bridge to connect, granted this
was Sunpower 327's on a Outback 7200 off grid but it can happen. This is
not to say that there is not a problem with the dryer however, just that
there are other possibilities.
Jerry