Hi Corey - As we've grown, and as our fleet of installed systems has grown,
I've become increasingly interested in choosing an inverter solution that
shows per-module production data. I realize that you specifically asked not
to consider optimizers or microinverters, but I wonder if that will be a
losing battle. Module Level Power Electronics (MLPE) are getting more and
more reliable, and allow us to see what is actually happening with the
system for relatively easy troubleshooting down the road. Simply put, the
benefits outweigh the drawbacks, and they are only getting better.

That said, we're seeing some integrators going with the SMA / Tigo route
where you can choose the TS4-F rapid-shutdown-only variant of the Tigo unit
to reduce cost. You mentioned this. From the cost analysis that I've run,
I'm finding the SolarEdge is actually a bit cheaper than the SMA / Tigo
TS4-F route, especially when factoring in the long and flexible string
designs possible with SolarEdge. It's certainly possible that the KISS
route will pay off if one selects the Tigo route, but I think it's really
anyone's guess about which MLPE device will last the longest. Then there
are AC modules and Enphase type microinverters which are even simpler to
design and install with.

Anyway, it's a good question about whether there are any other viable
solutions to meet NEC 2017 rapid shutdown requirements out there. But I'm
afraid that the days of simple DC string based inverter systems are gone.

August
Luminalt