Did SMA give anymore explanation as to why this set up does not work?

On 7/10/2020 10:50 AM, scot.a...@solarcentex.com wrote:

We have a design with Sunny Storage 6.0 inverter, SB 6.0 PV inverter, the SMA Automatic Backup Unit, and three LG Resu batteries. Works like a charm during normal grid ops but when it goes into backup ops, the Sunny Storage increases frequency to between 60.6 with blips up to 61 hertz, resulting in the PV inverter throttling back from 5,000+ watts to between 1,300 to 345 watts.

The result is that the batteries do not recharge from the PV during backup mode, even when SoC is less than half capacity. This also means the max power through the ABU to the “whole house backup” is the 6,000 watts from the Sunny Storage plus the (very) retarded power output of the SB PV inverter.

SMA tech support just said, “that is normal, the LG Battery is the culprit and  does not charge from PV in this setup.”

I was stunned because why else would I buy this ABU coupling setup…Anybody have any ideas? I’m hoping the Sunny Storage freq shifting ramp-up parameters can be adjusted so that PV inverter operations continue when the battery is at a less than full SoC.

List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette: