Chris;
Of course as Kent points out, the equipment does not appear to be UL
listed, so would not pass inspection. But, I realize there are situations
where a UL listing is not required. It appears to me that the
Growatt/Huawei setup this person bought is very similar to the architecture
of the SolarEdge StorEdge solution. It uses an autotransformer in exactly
the same way, to split 240VAC output into a pair of 120VAC legs, but the SE
AT is only needed when powering household loads from only the battery bank.

In a purely off-grid situation, of course this would be all the time. But
autotransformers are certainly more efficient than dual winding
transformers, and I think the In/Out voltage ratio would be low if the
secondary is simply dual tapped....but that is WAY beyond my pay grade.
Perhaps you can glean some efficiency info from the StorEdge documentation,
or even better, from one of the power electronics experts here.

All in all, though, a great example of how NOT to design an off grid
system, as you've likely already informed the potential client!

Dan Fink
Owner, Buckville Energy Consulting LLC
NABCEP Certified PV System Inspector
NABCEP PV Associate
NABCEP Registered Continuing Education Providers
d <dan.f...@greendustrialtraining.com>anbo...@gmail.com
970-672-4342