Hi Darryl -

Yea, you have a good point. We have recently used the SMA freq/watt
curtailment feature on a bigger off grid system with SMA Tripower inverters
and a Tesla Powerpack. We programmed a curve into the SMA inverters so that
the Powerpack can throttle SMA PV production on a smooth curve, rather than
just binary on/off. We've done this with Sunny Island based systems too. I
don't know about the ability of the Powerwall to do this. It's a good
question. It gets tricky trying to meet the utility-approved grid tied
settings while optimizing offgrid settings, especially when AC coupling
different inverter manufacturers. So, we've been leaving all of our
Powerwall and PV systems in the normal ongrid mode. The only real downside
is that when the grid is down, and PV is producing more than the battery
needs, it will just turn off, wait, and then back on over and over, rather
than throttle. It is nice to have it just throttle, but not really a big
deal for most applications that are primarily grid tied. I have to think
manufacturers are thinking about getting that freq/watt curtailment to work
across different AC coupled applications. That would be cool. That is a
potential benefit of a all-one-manufacturer AC-coupled solution such as
Enphase's Encharge or SunPower's new SunVault system. However, I don't know
they're implementing that feature either, yet.

August