Jason,

Would a 96 cell Panasonic module fit in the space you have available? It would give you sufficient voltage to charge this battery.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar

On 4/12/2021 10:40 AM, Jason Szumlanski wrote:
I want to charge a 51.2V LiPO battery with a single 420W 72-cell module. Vmp is 40.14V.

It's one of those situations where I just need a lot of battery capacity as a backup for a specified time period, but it doesn't matter how long it takes to charge it back up. And I have space for exactly one 72-cell module.

It's going to be a Victron inverter. I'm not sure if they make a DC-DC solution for this charging scenario or if there is another way to accomplish it without too much cost and complexity. I was half-heartedly thinking about an AC coupled microinverter, but that has drawbacks in terms of efficiency I think. Maybe that's not any worse than DC-DC conversion - I'm not sure. AC Coupling would probably be cheaper and easier. Monitoring might be difficult/limited. And AC coupling would require that the inverter be on (inverting) which isn't ideal for this situation either.

Thanks in advance,

Jason Szumlanski
Florida Solar Design Group

List rules & etiquette: