I think the biggest issue with poor connections on the Polaris type blocks is not stripping enough insulation off the wire. They need much more stripped off than other types of connectors.  With too much insulation remaining, the screw tightens on the insulation, and the electrical connection is just some loose copper tickling the inside of the barrel.  You wouldn't notice it at first with testing, but it would definitely start to over heat over time.  Might catch it with a FLIR though.

What other connectors are 1000 v rated?  This seems like more an issue of having the manufacturer's retest to 1000v.  I can't imagine those blocks not being able to handle 1000v, but.....

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760