All of the "PV" Series inverters we installed from Trace/Xantrex required
external isolation transformers.  That is, most smaller string inverters of
that era had built-in iso transformers, but the PV series did not.
Remember that the DC negative is grounded.

I suppose it's also possible that the gas station service is 480V, in which
case the iso transformer would also (in addition to isolation) serve the
purpose of converting from 208 to 480V.

It's possible everything was still working, but probably won't be for long!

Blake Gleason, PE
Director of Innovation
& Technical Excellence
Sun Light & Power