The process is very regimented. Here's a link with the details:
https://www.nfpa.org/Codes-and-Standards/Standards-Development/How-the-process-works

A few things to note:

All submitted public inputs (PIs) are addressed by the relevant Code Making
Panel (CMP); the NFPA has transitioned so that all this documentation is
online (there used to be a PDF) - it can be viewed on the "Next Edition"
tab of NFPA 70 here:
https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/all-codes-and-standards/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=70&tab=nextedition

The first draft of 2023, based on all the PIs submitted, came out on
6/28/21; comments on that document were due about 12 days ago, and the
second draft meeting is scheduled for late October. The product of that
meeting, which will post in March 2022, will be, for the most part, the
2023 NEC.

Sooo, it is going to be tough to "repeal" or get rid of RS based on the
current state of things. There is the NITMAM process (ugh, so many
acronyms), which you can read about here https://www.nfpa.org/techsession and
which I'm not very familiar with.

Please keep in mind that CMP-4 (which I am a voting-alternate on, and which
has jurisdiction over 690, 705, 710, and a few other Articles) is composed
of a wide range of folks, from the enforcement (AHJ) community, the IBEW,
various manufacturing trade organizations, utility organizations, the fire
fighting/first responder community, and solar-specific organizations. Folks
have widely varying degrees of interest in – and experience with – PV, but
they all bring technical expertise from across the electrical industry. You
may be surprised to hear it, but requirements in regards to RS could have
been a lot more stringent, a lot more quickly, without key representation
from the panel members that are most dedicated to the solar industry.
Furthermore this is a consensus process, and is often the case rarely does
anyone get exactly what they want.

Many of these same folks have been very active participants in the PV
Industry Forum, sponsored by SEIA, and comprised of something like 60-80
industry stakeholders that work together to craft and submit consensus
Public Inputs for the first draft. In this latest cycle we submitted dozens
of PIs, and the vast majority of them were accepted and became part of the
first draft. This process is key to jump-starting the new Code cycle -
without a Public Input to address, the code-making panel cannot "touch" a
section of the code. And of course there are plenty of PIs from individuals
and other organizations that are addressed by the panel.

Cheers,

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ R031508-59
National Electrical Code® CMP-4 Member
(520) 204-6639

Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org