Sorry Dan, I didn't realize that not all istreams support seek. I was
convinced that the mere presence of std::istream::seekg guarantees
that seek is supported. The simplest counterexample is std::cin.

As for simpler cases when seek works fine and we know stream length
in advance (like std::ifstream), proper error handling is somewhat hard
to do: re2c should check that none of std::ifstream methods failed and
call some user-defined code if it did. That will require adding YYERROR()
or something like this.

So should I just remove "--input istream" until better times and release
with "--input < default | custom >" ?