Hi Stephen,

I'm glad you find re2c useful.

What you suggest sounds good to me. Only I think the option is not
necessary: until now message format was not specified -- or at least I
know nothing about it. The general rule is to make the message as clear
and precise as possible and somehow relate it to re2c, therefore we use
something like:

    re2c: line X, column Y: error:

But if you add the filename instead, then one could deduce from the
'.re' extension (or just the filename) that the message is related to
re2c. As I understand, you suggest that the new format will be:

    filename.re: line: column: <error>:

The two questions I have:

- why the '<error>' in angle brackets?
- what about the errors/warnings that have no column info?

As for the code, your guess is correct: error reporting is scattered all
around the codebase and the patch would probably end up quite big. This
is not a problem, as long as all the changes are related to the message
format. If you feel that it could be broken into a series of smaller
patches, you are welcome.

Don't forget about the warnings (src/conf/warn.{h,cc}).

Also, don't forget about the test suite. There is a couple of tests that
check various error messages, and a lot of tests contain warnings (so
don't be scared by the number of broken tests).

The patch should be based on top of 'master'. If you need any advice or
pre-review, I would be glad to help.

Ulya