On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 19:50:45 +0200, Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_...@web.de>
wrote:
> > > Also despite the different focus we chose, I consider you folks to be the
> > > experts on indentation-sensitive lisp, so I would be very happy to get
> > > your opinion.
> > >

> > >     http://draketo.de/proj/wisp/srfi.html

I didn't have a lot of time, but I took a few minutes & hope my comments help.

I don't think that wisp "supercedes" SRFI-105 or SRFI-110; I would instead say
it describes an "alternative to".
Indeed, I suspect a system could simultaneously use SRFI-105 and wisp.

"SRFI-110 improves a lot over the implementation of SRFI-49 and resolves the
group-naming by introducing 3 different grouping-syntaxes ($, \\ and <* *>).
These additional syntax-elements however hurt readability for newcomers a lot.
They make some code written in SRFI-110 look quite similar to perl and bash:"
I don't agree that they "hurt readability" at all, indeed, I think they help.
I suggest changing this (and elsewhere) to something like "The author believes
that these additional syntax elements impede readability because...".  Also, I
know both perl and bash, and the resulting code doesn't look anything like
either.  The "$" stuff looks like Haskell, if anything.

The spec overview in 4.1 needs to clearly define *what* each syntax element
does, at least as a basic case.  Examples are great for clarifying definitions,
but do not *replace* them.  E.G., "A lone period at the beginning of a line
(after any indentation) causes that line to continue the previous line."  Or
something like that.

s/synatx/syntax/

I would move "justification" to separate section.  Users often don't care WHY
something is so... they just need to know what it is.

I obviously agree that a better homoiconic syntax is needed for Lisp.  I also
obviously don't agree that the choices you've made are the best ones, since I
made different choices :-).

A few comments, though, besides ones already made.  I have concerns that lone
":" is actually *widely* used for other purposes, e.g., type declarations, that
this syntax interferes with.  Similarly, "_" has many uses on its own.  I think
it'd be wise to grab a bunch of code and try to reformat it this way.  I did
that a *LOT* to create SRFI-110; a lot of syntax that SEEMS like a good idea
doesn't actually work well with real code.  And while simplicity is a *great*
goal, too simple is its own problem.  All we *really* need is 1 and 0; anything
else is extraneous syntax :-).

--- David A. Wheeler