On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:33 AM, David A. Wheeler
<dwhee...@dwheeler.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 05:28:39 +0800, Alan Manuel Gloria <almkg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> (cond ... else) doesn't work in Guile 1.6 (it's why I coded them as
>> (cond .. #t) in the first place).
>
> Drat. As noted in the ChangeLog, (cond... #t) causes warnings in chicken
> Scheme.
>
> Hmm.  We already do some text processing of kernel.scm in the final build.
> Perhaps we could detect if (cond ... else) is rejected in configure, and if
> it is,
> then substitute the relevant "(else ..." into "(#t ...".
>
> Does replacing all "(else " with "(#t " in kernel.scm work in guile 1.6?
> That would also affect some cond-expand and case statements, as well as cond
> statements.
> If we have to only substitute some & not others, we could insert some comments
> to enable or inhibit text substitution.  That might be the simplest solution.
> That way most people just see "standard modern Scheme" while users of the
> old guile version 1.6 get working code.

*shrug* I am personally not bothered with (else ..).  I already do
have the working old code that works on 1.6, and I don't really
foresee any significant increase in the core functionality (viz.
INDENTED SCHEME) any time soon, and my code mostly works anyway, since
I copied the old version into my program (I run it as the program's
"compile" step from .sscm to .scm).

Since I'm pretty much the only one who wants Guile 1.6 support, and
I'm pretty satisfied with the perfectly working old version, feel free
to drop Guile 1.6 support.  I just wanted to make clear the reason for
why #t was used in the first place ^^.