At 01:52 AM 5/17/98 -0400, Dave Wreski wrote:
>> Apr 22 23:53:52 kilroy pppd[2730]: Using interface ppp0
>> Apr 22 23:53:52 kilroy pppd[2730]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cua2
>> Apr 22 23:53:56 kilroy pppd[2730]: Unsupported protocol (0x8207) received
>> Apr 22 23:53:57 kilroy pppd[2730]: Received bad configure-nak/rej:  03 06
>> 83 c6 7c 2e
>> Apr 22 23:54:24 kilroy last message repeated 9 times
>> Apr 22 23:54:27 kilroy pppd[2730]: IPCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
>> Apr 22 23:54:27 kilroy pppd[2730]: Connection terminated.
>> Apr 22 23:54:28 kilroy pppd[2730]: Exit.
>>

>> Help?  Even an RTFM would be appreciated if you could point out the
>> appropriate FM.  :)  I couldn't find anything helpful among HOW-TOs or
>> RedHat Tips.
>
>Check out the PPP-HOWTO and the RH PPP-Tips document.  You might also try
>posting a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/PPP-Tips/
>http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/PPP-Client-HOWTO/
>http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html

Hi, your problem does not look like the one I encountered recenltly, but
there are some extra gotchas if you are trying to do Windows Dial-up
network and want browsing (WINS) to work.

1. ppp 2.3.3 has a bug in it, in that IPCP will only give the remote
machine a WINS address if a secondary is configured.  I have informed all
the relevant people of the bug, and the work-around is simple:

Add ms-wins twice to your options or options.ttyn file in /etc/ppp.

Briefly, the bug is that an include file is wrong and when the client sends
a request for its primary WINS server address, pppd thinks it is a request
for a secondary WINS server address. If there is no secondary defined, pppd
NAKs/REJs the request. If the client sends in a request for a secondary
name server, pppd does not understand it and REJs it.

BYW, Windows 95 seems to have a bug with netmask handling. If you have
sub-netted, Windows 95 ppp ignores or does not request a netmask and sets
the netmask to what is relevant to the class of address you are using. This
means that broadcasts do not work, so NetBIOS name lookups do not work, so
you cannot login to the domain nor browse the domain.  Thus you cannot
access file services on any Samba server you might have.  You are forced to
use WINS.

2. You must configure Windows 95 correctly.  You must configure the TCP/IP
-> Dialup Adapter section in the networks area of the control panel. In
particular, under TCP/IP properties, set Use DHCP for WINS Resolution under
WINS Configuration.  You should also set up under Properties for the dial
up connection, under Server Types, set Log onto the network, and under
TCP/IP Settings, set Server assigned IP address and Server assigned name
server addresses.

Also, you need to make sure that the Workgroup name is the same as the
Domain that you may be trying to log onto.  Once you have all this set up,
things seem to work OK.

>Dave

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, [EMAIL PROTECTED], NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba, Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, Netscape, Stronghold, C, ...