At 05:41 AM 6/26/98 -0400, William T Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Wim Raets wrote:
>
>> I am FTP'ing a new kernel(+/- 10MB) at max speed (4K/s).
>> If I would start surfing(http) now, the speed of webpages coming through
>> would be terrible. So I would like to lower the priority of the
>> ftp-connection and raise those of the http-connection. How can I do this
>
>Short answer: You can't.
>
>Longer answer: You don't control the speed at which incoming data is
>received.  You only control the speed at which outgoing data is sent.
>Therefore, you do not control the priorities which you seek to set.
>Furthermore, there really aren't any such "priorities", the speed of the
>data is controlled only by the capacity of the network hardware in between
>you and the remote sites.
>
>It would be possible to write software (which would have to be run at the
>ISP in the form of a proxy) that could allow such regulation to take
>place.  I'm not aware of any such software, however.

Hmmm, in the TCP/IP courses I give, I talk about the Type of Service (TOS)
bits in the IP header.

I talk about how FTP typically sets the HIGH THROUGPUT TOS, and others
(like Telnet) set the LOW DELAY TOS.  And I mention that modern routers
handled packets in the queue based on the TOS flags, and that I suspect
that Linux can even do that.

Do you mean that I have been wrong all along?

Now, or course, the problem is convincing NetScape and other browsers that
HTTP traffic should qualify for LOW DELAY TOS.  But then again, they may
already do that.

>--

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, [EMAIL PROTECTED], NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba, Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, Netscape, Stronghold, C, ...