[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> Hope you guys don't mind, but I am about to set up my X manager and
> wonder which ones you guys like best.  Not overwhelmed by Metro-X and
> having done a bit of reading, I am considering XFree, but also
> considering olvwm, fvwm as well.  Which are easy to install and which
> are more widely supported ?

Mike, these are different issues you've gotten a bit tangled here.

XFree86 & Metro-X are X drivers.  Once set up, they'll allow you to run X on
your installation.

olvwm, fvwm, fvwm2, etc., are window managers; they provide the tools which
allow you to work in X once you've got the system working.

The choice between XFree86 and MetroX must be based on both objective &
subjective factors.  When MetroX works, it can work quite well.  It is a
commercial X driver that has been, unfortunately, somewhat problematic in the
past.  There appear to be some good people behind the product, and they've
donated a lot of code/support to the free X driver, XFree86.  There were,
apparently, difficulties on the control & administration side of the MetroX
house; they've been trying to clean up the show, but even the last release was
not good for many users.

You'll need to take the list of equipment that you have - video card specs and
monitor specs, and then determine which of the X drivers will work for your
hardware.  If both, try both, and then make a choice from there.

A lot of users find that XFree86 works well, has been more stable and reliable
for their hardware, and seems to be more bug free than MetroX.  MetroX will,
however, support some video chipsets that XFree can't; being commercial they
can have NDA's that give them access to data about proprietary chipsets which
XFree86 can't get.

Publish details about your video card, video RAM capacity, monitor, etc., and
then I think we can help a bit more.

> Mike

> Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD Resident Physiatrist - R3 Thomas Jefferson
> University Hospital Department of Rehabilitation Medicine
> Philadelphia, PA, 19026

> E-Mail Address:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

best of luck

     Rick Forrister
--
Rick Forrister                 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Opera: Greek word meaning "death by music".
                --Anonymous