[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >What's the word on the AMD K6 compatibility with Linux?
>
> I'm running RH5.0 on a 200MHZ K6 and a Shuttle 569 MB.  I've
> just used kernels that were RPMed on the RH site... seems
> fine to me.

        Works here as well, 200MHz K6, 64 Meg Ram, 1:2gig 1:8gig, kernal
compiles fine.  I just used a bare bones with all my modules compiled
outside the kernal.  Then I insert the modules once the system is up.
Works great.  I also set it to 586 for compiletime and haven't had a
problem.

> > The RH hardware compatibility guide suggests that there may be some
> > problems with installing Linux on a K6 system. I just wanted to know if
>
> This had me worried too, but I took the plunge figuring that they
> were just being conservative.  The manual does say that you should
> use the '386 options for building kernels to be safe... that's
> something I know nothing about at this time.

        That was for older K6's under 200Mhz and a bunch of Cyrix chips because
they didn't detect as pentium chips, so the system defaulted to 386, or
even worse - desided it was an unsuppoorted chipset.