Dear Jack,
I guess you'd have to ask redhat to get an exact answer, but the defconfig
file includes more or less reasonable choices that should work for most
people as far as I can judge, however I'm always feeling more comfortable
with having the device drivers I need compiled into the kernel and throw
out stuff I definitly don't need. That's also the reason why I'm always
compiling a kernel for the specific hardware I use. And I don't have the
feeling that it's a lot of effort, if you know what Hardware you have it
should be a task of half an hour or so to go through the make
(menue)config with reading the available tips. And the resulting kernel
shouldn't be less stable as the one that redhat supplied.
Sorry, if this is not what you wanted to hear :-)
Clemens

Clemens Adler                 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Institut fuer Kernphysik
Universitaet Frankfurt               office phone:  069-798-24285
August-Euler-Strasse 6
60486 Frankfurt