> > For added protection, install some form of packet filter, and drop
> > malformed packets, short packets, long packets, OOB data, and all incoming
> > protocols on ports you're not actively binding programs to in inetd.conf.

> Does anyne have a packet filetr like this?

Sorry, someone else asked about this earlier today, but I've been busy 1)
trying to get a driver working with a PCMCIA SCSI card, and 2) slapping down
one of my users who decided running crack on our big iron was not a Bad
Thing(TM).  :)

Anyway, the one I'm most familiar with is called IP Filter, and it is
freeware.  Its configuration is a bit cumbersome (reminded me of a packet-
based version of sendmail.cf), but it's quite powerful, and can do everything
I described above.  The web page is at
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/ipfilter/

I've run this a lot on my sun workstations at home with no problem.
It can be anything from a very narrow packet filter to a full-blown firewall.
There's a fairly good FAQ and a useful mailing list.

I'm not in any way related to the project, I'm just someone who's used it
in the past and was quite happy.

--Mark