Andy Lindeman writes:
> hoeteck-
>
> I already have the fetchmail part going.  I want my outgoing email to look
> like it's coming from my ISP account [EMAIL PROTECTED], when it is
> really coming from [EMAIL PROTECTED] (my own unregistered, always
> changing IP addr, not on the net 24x7 linux box).
>
> I have it working to the point that it looks like it is from
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], but sendmail is supposed to be able to use the userdb
> to map the "andy" to "lindeman".  I can't get that to work.

I just got this running yesterday on my machine at home. I'm using the
"generics" database feature to do so, and finally, it seems to work.

Here's what I did:

- get the redhat.mc file (I installed the sendmail source rpm and run
  rpm -bp on it to do so (RHL 4.2))
- add the following:
    FEATURE(genericstable, hash /etc/mail/generics)
    GENERICS_DOMAIN(YOUR_ISP_DOMAIN_HERE)
    FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
    FEATURE(allmasquerade)
- run m4 on it (the README in sendmail-xxxxx/cf describes how)
- copy the new sendmail.cf to /etc (might be wise idea to backup the old one
  first, I'm a bit paranoid about these things...)
- generate the generics database:
  * write the text file with entries like this for each local name you have:
    <localname><tab><new_mailaddress>

    example:
    jbloggs     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  * run makemap on that file (makemap hash generics.db < generics)
- that's it.

To be on the safe side, I added my local address in all possible
combinations (as in jbloggs, jbloggs@localhost,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]) - might be an overkill, but it works...

I also added MASQUERADE_AS(my_isp_domain) and removed
FEATURE(always_add_domain) to the mc file.

After all these changes, "Return-Path:" and "From:" should reflect those
changes. I just installed the whole stuff yesterday, so I'm still waiting
for the brick walls to hit me.... ...be warned... ;-)

HTH,

Thomas

P.S.: This was my first stab at sendmail configuration - corrections and
      suggestions by other list members welcome... ;-)