I use Dnews, which is commercial software. (www.netwinsite.com)  The only
reason for doing this is that our internet provider doesn't give us a news
feed, and I have to suck the feed from Supernews (www.supernews.com).
'suck' proved less than useful for an operation of this size (a few hundred
users, large spool); dnews was a very good (not to mention powerful &
flexible) combination of suck + innd that has worked reliably since its
installation.

Setting it up isn't terribly hard, regardless of how you do it.  The
software is well-documented and man pages are available, as well as a
web-based manual.

As a side note, I set up a Linux machine here for much the same reasons
you're setting this one up, and it's worked out well.  We're now up to
three Linux boxes in operation, each performing tasks from firewall
logging/monitoring to being a ppp server.  I know my boss was impressed :)

best of luck setting it up...

--Will