On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Jeffrey Fearn wrote:

> NB. Just a note to clear up any questions about what I'm trying to
> do. We currently have an NT/95/Novell network with an NT box as the
> web/mail  server. We require a firewall to protect our site (don't

It is actually considered the better way to put the Web (mail, whatever)
server behind the firewall, and run them on separate systems.  I see no
particular reason (other than religion) to not simply leave the NT system
the way it is (your customer already paid for it) and just slip the Linux
box in between the NT and the Internet.  Let it do the WWW proxying using
Squid, and use some firewalling rules to allow only the NT box to talk to
the rest of the world on the SMTP port.  Alternatively, you can block that
off and set up Sendmail to relay mail between you and the rest of the
world.  It is relatively easy - just define the Linux system as the relay
for the regular mail server, adjust the spam blocking rules to allow your
site to use the system for relay, then configure the MAIL_HUB (or possibly
LUSER_RELAY, which would be an interesting way of doing this) in the M4
sources, so all your incoming email gets delivered to the existing mail
server.  Then rebuild your sendmail.cf file.  This is probably the minimum
of disruption, since you can test if it works under unloaded conditions
(i.e. when everyone went home for the night) and it only has to talk to
the NT server, not to all the possible clients.

> E-mail seems to work, I can get/send mail, but only if I use [  ]
> around the IP, ie me@[1.1.1.1]. The way my boss wants it to work is

It's supposed to be that way.  Mail to IP addresses has to have those
brackets.  Mail to regular named addresses won't have this problem.

> that we keep the current local connections to the NT server, as this
> is the config our customers have, we move the modem to the Linux box,
> make the NT server point to the Linux box, and Linux to our ISP. I
> know! A proxy pointing to a proxy to a proxy! But the customer is

What's wrong with this?  It works, doesn't it? :)  And it is (supposedly)
more secure.