Thanks to all thoes who responded I have now down loaded squid, and
am trying to configure it :)

NB. Just a note to clear up any questions about what I'm trying to
do. We currently have an NT/95/Novell network with an NT box as the
web/mail  server. We require a firewall to protect our site (don't
ask me why, we got noth'n here :) The cost of US$2000+ for an NT
firewall makes the option too expensive for us. So how are we gonna
firewall? Linux! So I need to replace mail/web services, we don't
need a web server as we don't have, and will not have, externally
available resources. The set up is a nightmare! I can't replace the
NT server until the Linux box is complete, so I'm trying to configure
it inside the network, to work outside the network AAAHHHHHHHHH. The
E-mail seems to work, I can get/send mail, but only if I use [  ]
around the IP, ie me@[1.1.1.1]. The way my boss wants it to work is
that we keep the current local connections to the NT server, as this
is the config our customers have, we move the modem to the Linux box,
make the NT server point to the Linux box, and Linux to our ISP. I
know! A proxy pointing to a proxy to a proxy! But the customer is
_always_ right. Stupid, uninformed, pig headed, but none the less
right! So that is my mission, I am working here part-time, finishing
my Uni degree, and trying not to stuff up the network :} A lot of our
customers are connecting to the web and want a cheap/effective
proxy/firewall solution, if I can get this thing to run reliably we
might even be able to sell a few. I am setting this up on an OLD 486,
we may be able to offer solutions for under A$600, the Ozzy $ is ~66
US cents! This is much cheaper than any other solution we have seen.
Now if only it works ;)

Thanks, Jeff.