> >     I agree. I personaly don't like Windoze, but there are thing
> > Linux can learn from MS: mainly, some easy to use interfaces that can
> > help those who just bought Linux to configure their machines and learn
> > the basics, so they would be able to go deeper after that..
>
>       The basic problem with all this is that Linux is NOT a desktop OS
> like Win3/95 or OS/2 or the Mac.  It's a high end server OS.  It's not
> even in the same category as Win95.  If you've tried to install NT you
> know that it is much more difficult than installing 95.  And Linux is to
> NT what the SST is to the Wright Brothers plane (yes, that is my quote) so
> the inherent level of complexity will always be greater no matter what you
> try to do to make it easier.
>
>       It's like apples and oranges.

I'm afraid I need to disagree with this. I picked up linux mostly because
I wanted to have some understanding of unix, but it does have potential to
be a desktop os. Think about the ease of use complaints, the original
poster complained about not knowing how to even change directories. Would
it be so difficult to add alias dir="ls -F --color=tty" to the bash
defaults in the distro? I don't think so, and setting up some aliases for
ease of use was among the first things I did when I got going. Little
things like this go a long way. Yeah, it might be a little more complex,
but maybe the installer could have options like installing packages as a
workstation, as a web server, etc. It's naive and counter productive to
say that becuase something is inherently complex that it can't be made
more easy to use. I know my machine is easier for me to use just because
of little thinks like that. Adding an easy to use window manager and some
aliases might just give some the inpetus to dig deeper. Don't throw them
off just because of any initial lack of sophistication.