Thanks very much Bret - I'll give this a go on Monday.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 21 July 2000 15:15
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Redhat and DSL

Nigel Trivass wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping someone can help me  help a colleague in the US,  with the
> setting up of a small network....using the following:
>
> PC [win98],  NT server, Redhat server, a hub, a router and DSL
>
> None of the above are currently networked together.
>
> We have purchased one  fixed IP address from Flashnet, our DSL provider.
>
> Our requirements:
>
> My colleague requires that the Redhat machine be available to other Redhat
> servers around the globe. [These servers hold master databases which we
need
> to gain access to, for the export and import of data].
> A fixed IP address is required for access to all sites.
>
> My colleague wants to be able to connect to the ISP directly from her PC
in
> order  to pick up email.
> The PC needs also to be able to FTP/Telnet to the Redhat machine
>
> TCP/IP services are required between NT and the other machines.
>
> What would be the best way to set up this network?
>
> I'm thinking that we should have purchased 3 IP addresses, and then set up
> domain. But I'm unsure of how to configure DSL - we don't have this
service
> in the UK at the moment. We are running redhat version 6_0. Does the
redhat
> kernel support DSL?
>
> I'm thinking that the best solution would be to network the 3 machines
using
> private IP conventions, then connecting the DSL modem to the PC, and
simply
> using a normal modem for connecting the redhat server to the internet
> whenever required?

This sounds like a very typical installation using a redhat machine as a
firewall and setting up masqurading or NAT (network address translation)

This can also be done with the hub firewall solutions provided by companies
like Linksys for less than $200.

the firewall machine will need two network cards, one exposed to the
internet
by connecting to the dsl modem and the other into the hub on the internal
network.  The internal network will be running private ipaddresses so
additional ips are not needed.

Search the archives for init.firewall.  It should result in a link to
Gordon's
firewall script (init.firewall) change the variables in the script and you
willbe jammin'.  You can also enable port forwarding to the database server
on
the internal network so that you can restrict who can see it and protect it
from hackers banging on other ports on the machine.

I belive ther is a masqurading howto that should help.

Hope this helps.

Bret