On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Ted Gervais wrote:

> Hi Michael..
>
> Thanks for your note. And my X display is whatever you get when you do a full
> 'desktop' installation of RedHat.  I don't know anymore than that. I know
> this is not saying much but is there an environment file that I need to look
> in and change, that will correc this?
>
> As to emacs - I get this when logged in as a user (myself) and it objects to
> coming up. It says that there is a DISPLAY problem and maybe try and use a
> '-d'. Whatever that means.
>
> Another place I get it , is sometimes when I run 'netcfg'.  Actually with
> this I get a screen full of lines that indicate something is wrong and it
> ends with this DISPLAY question..

i came into this late, but let me try.  it sounds like you are opening
another xterm to become root with "su", possibly.  in any case, when
you get the DISPLAY error problem, try:

$ export DISPLAY=:0

and try again.  but i'm still curious if you're using "su", since
you mention you're running netcfg, and that normally needs root
privilege.

rday

--
Robert P. J. Day
Eno River Technologies, Durham NC

"This is Microsoft technical support.  How may I misinform you?"