There are probably a couple of fine points that I've gleaned in working
with ISDN vs analog modem. Treating an ISDN modem as an analog modem is
fine if you're only interested in 56Kb, i.e. 1B channel. If, like me,
you have a 3Com Impact IQ, and would like to avail of features like
multi-link PPP and dynamic bandwidth allocation (wherein the data call
yields a B channel to incoming &/ outgoing calls), there are some
things to pay attention to, which are in no particular order:

1. Authentication mechanism: must use PAP for MLPP support
2. Modem settings:
   - explicitly set all modem switches that are relevant
   - make sure the switch that specifies 56k vs 64k is 64.
     Otherwise, you get only 1B channel.
3. Dialed number
   - I found even for a local call, I had to use 1+areacode+number
     to get proper communication with my ISP.

Hope this helps..

Mukesh

--
Mukesh Sundaram                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
1307 S. Mary Ave. #212                        (408) 730-8647