Ok that's helped it clarify things in my mind.

So your desire is to have an epp mapping for dname so that the verisign
registry for the root zone can accept such records? I suppose that's up to
the root zone maintainers and there's no harm in creating the mapping or
an extension. But the use case for name registries would be very narrow
and potentially worse for the registrant and certainly in breach of
current gTLD requirements for zone contents.

Kal Feher