Patrick,

Thank you for your thoughts to the possible use of the org drafts to help
support transfers.  You’ll find my feedback embedded below.

—

JG

James Gould
Distinguished Engineer
jgo...@verisign.com

703-948-3271
12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190

Verisign.com <http://verisigninc.com/>

On 12/28/17, 12:46 AM, "regext on behalf of Patrick Mevzek"
<regext-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of p...@dotandco.com> wrote:

    Hello James,

(https://www.verisign.com/assets/epp-sdk/verisign_epp-extension_whois-info_v01.html)

    > that provides the basics of the Registrar WHOIS Server, Registrar Name,
    > and the Registrar URL attributes.  The org extensions can be extended to
    > provide additional registrar-level attributes in support of the transfer
    > policy.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    While I can see the train of thoughts (and while I completely sympathize
    with the idea that the current procedure to do transfers is illogical on an
high
    scale even if all small parts are logical), I really do not think that the
"org"
    extension would be a good fit to simplify current problems in transfer
procedure,
    for various reasons:

    1) it would mean adding some fields to each organization, that would make
    sense only for a registrar "role" organization, not for all organization
objects;
    thus these fields would be very seldom populated, and it would make the
schema
    not robust (it would be hard to define it in such a way that such elements
    are allowed if type=registrar but not with other types)
    I also remember that this extension was never defined at the beginning for
registrars
    but for resellers

You are correct that the extension was originally defined for resellers but was
revised to be made generic to support any organization, including registrars.
I believe the only fields missing include the reference to the RDDS services
(WHOIS, RDAP).  To keep the organization generic, this could be defined as a
list of servers that may be set for an organization.  This is not to be
confused with the service “role”’s of the organization.  A server could include
a type (e.g., “whois”, “rdap”) and the connectivity information (e.g., URI,
host / port).  The idea here is to define an organization that can have one or
more service roles and with zero or more typed server definitions.  This way a
registrar does not need to connect to a separate channel (e.g., WHOIS, RDAP) to
option information that they can get directly via the secure EPP channel.

    2) from what I recall, there was never a strong support from registrars for
this
    reseller/org extension, as the goal and benefit/drawback comparison was not
tilted
    in the good direction; if suddenly this extension becomes mandatory to
conduct
    transfers, it means registrars would be forced to implement it even if it
has
    a far broader scope than just enabling domain transfers

The regext working group agreed to adopt the reseller extensions and to convert
the reseller extensions to the more generic org extensions.  I agree that the
initial requirement of defining the reseller extension for the sole purpose of
pushing data from the registrar to the registry to display in RDDS (Whois,
RDAP) was not tilted in a good direction.  This is an example of the RDDS Copy
Authoritative Data Anti-Pattern.  The use of the reseller extension for a
broader set of purposes was discussed and subsequently the even broader org
extensions were created.  I’m not asking or proposing a requirement to
implement the org extensions, but asking whether with the org extensions over
the secure EPP protocol would be a better option than registrars getting
information from the registries via an insecure channel that may become further
restricted.  If the registries do have the registrar information, then why
can’t the registries provide the information over EPP to the registrars to
support transfers?

    3) as you state yourself, Verisign already has an extension tailored to
that specific need
    for transfers, and I would far much prefer that this narrowly defined
extension gets standardized and used
    for this specific need instead of trying to bolt the feature onto something
that looks
    close to it but is definitely going after other goals.

Why would you propose to create many small, targeted extensions to cover
specific use cases instead of leveraging a more generic extension that is
itself extensible (e.g., roles and servers) to support many use cases.
Policies can and will change, where it’s best to define protocol extensions
that best match the data model of the servers that can support a change in
policies.  I don’t view the org extensions has targeting other goals.  One use
case of the org extensions is to provide registrar information, so why not
consider the registrar information needed in EPP to support transfers?   I
believe the only feature missing is the definition of typed servers, which is
not a bolt on but an enhancement based on a concrete use case.

    Part of the current problems in the transfer procedure are in fact not
    technical but policy related (for example if you come to think about it,
registrar R accredited in TLD X, Y and Z would probably have the exact same
data as an organization in TLD X, Y and Z databases, or at least its whois
server as I doubt registrar will define different whois servers they operate
for each TLD they are in; so why is there a need to create this registrar
structure in so many TLDs database where only one of them would be enough?).
    In such cases, no technical solution would make
    things better, so I believe the "org" extension not to be a good fit for
that
    endeavour, and I advise not modifying it in that direction.

I agree that the registrar information is best defined in a central registry as
opposed to be replicated to each of the registries.  If a centralized registrar
registry was defined, then draft-ietf-regext-org-ext or draft-ietf-regext-org
may need to be enhanced to support a delegation model.  I’m thinking that it
would be best to provide support for delegation of information in
draft-ietf-regext-org, since the registry will have some additional registrar
information beyond the address and contact information; although the registries
will most likely cache the information anyway.  If the registries due cache the
registrar information, the org extensions can be used as is.  I believe the
point is that the registrars may need to know the sponsoring registrar
information to support the transfer policy, and the org extensions provide the
most secure and stable mechanism for this.

    --
      Patrick Mevzek