On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 7:57 AM, Gould, James <jgould=40verisign.com@dmarc.
ietf.org> wrote:

> Anthony,
>

> I reviewed your draft.  We implemented EPP over HTTP a while back, where
> HTTP was treated as transport in line with EPP over TCP (RFC 5734).  It was
> shut down when it became clear that EPP over TCP was the preferred option..
> The difference with your draft and our implementation is that the draft
> defines a stateless transport and our implementation was a stateful
> transport.  We simply framed the EPP packets using HTTP, with HTTP
> keep-alive, and with full support for the EPP login and logout commands.
> Changing from stateful to stateless would really not allow easily replacing
> the transport on the client-side or the server-side.  We used the following
> HTTP properties:
>

>    1. Content length is explicitly specified
>    2. Chunked transfer encoding of HTTP 1.1
>    3. Content-type set to “text/xml”
>

> The 2-way HTTPS connection would be established, the client packet is
> framed as an HTTP packet and sent to the server, where the server processed
> the HTTP packet as it would a framed packet with EPP over TCP.  All of the
> EPP over HTTP commands and responses would behave consistently with EPP
> over TCP.

Thanks for the details James. I agree that existing EPP clients and servers
that depend on the statefulness of the transport would not be able to use
stateless HTTP. I envision this as more of an alternative for smaller
registries that currently limit their concurrent connections to extremely
low values (as low as max 2 concurrent connections in some cases, as far as
I understand it). Larger registries would probably not see an advantage in
using HTTP 1.1, although might receive benefits from HTTP/2 (I have not
investigated this fully).

Sincerely,
Anthony Eden

--