Hello James,

Yes, I mean Approach A as the current approach.

As was noted earlier, there is no version semantics for extension identifiers;
they are opaque. One might as well call "ext0", "ext1", etc for an extension
"abc", "def", etc.

Agreed we haven't yet had a single case of extension evolution :) but IMHO it
is important to consider various change scenarios exhaustively and how they
might introduce collisions and breakages for clients. I had earlier shared a
side-by-side breakage analysis [1] of the current approach (approach A) and one
of the proposed approaches (approach B). That informs when collisions and
breakages are possible. We could add other change scenarios there to make it
exhaustive. That way we would make a more informed decision if we were to ever
ditch the current approach.

Thanks,
Jasdip

[1]