Hello Mario,

The way you explain "unregistered" below indicates an entry that is presently
not in the IANA registry. Perhaps we could evolve that statement as:

  Servers MUST NOT provide or implement reverse searches or reverse search
mappings that are not registered with IANA.

The dictionary definition of "unregistered" returns "not officially recognized
and recorded." So, in that sense, you are spot on with the original statement.
The "un" prefix in "unregistered" threw me off, as in an act of undoing
something. I'd be good with the original statement now but wonder if it could
confuse someone else.

Thanks,
Jasdip

On 3/9/23, 12:51 PM, "regext on behalf of Jasdip Singh"
<regext-boun...@ietf.org <mailto:regext-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of
jasd...@arin.net <mailto:jasd...@arin.net>> wrote:

On 3/9/23, 12:34 PM, "Mario Loffredo" <mario.loffr...@iit.cnr.it
<mailto:mario.loffr...@iit.cnr.it> <mailto:mario.loffr...@iit.cnr.it
<mailto:mario.loffr...@iit.cnr.it>>> wrote:

>> - Section 3: "Servers MUST NOT provide or implement unregistered reverse
>> searches or unregistered reverse search mappings." ... Does "unregistering"
>> entries from these IANA registries mean removing them, or simply marking
>> them as deprecated? If the latter, do we need a status field in these
>> registries to differentiate the active entries from the deprecated ones? Not
>> clear about it.
> [ML] Unregistered means merely not included in the registries and the
> sentence looks clear to me. Don't think the registries' entries should
> be removed or deprecated as well.
>
> Registries can decide on their own to deprecate either properties or
> mappings and how long should be the deprecation period. Obviously,
> deprecations can be finally achieved de facto but we cannot be
> completely sure that some entries are no more active.
>
> [JS] Perhaps, we are here conflating the proposed RDAP Reverse Search and
> RDAP Reverse Search Mapping IANA registries with the DNRs (Domain Name
> Registries) and RIRs (Regional Internet Registries)? :) My question is about
> the lifecycle of an entry in the RDAP Reverse Search and RDAP Reverse Search
> Mapping IANA registries and how an entry there is "unregistered". (Assuming
> the word "unregistered" is being used above for such entries.)

[ML] Personally, the entries of both the registries can never be
updated. As I said in my previous reply, unregistered doesn't mean
removed/deprecated once registered but just not yet included in the
registry.

[JS] just not yet included in the registry" ... Do we mean here not including
that unregistered entry on the RDAP server side (DNRs and RIRs)?

Neither I see a particular need for specifying in the registry that an
entry gets obsolete. In that case, the property or the mapping will not
be included in the reverse_search_properties or
reverse_search_properties_mapping, respectively.

Hope I clarified my previous comment.

[JS] It might help to clarify further in the doc what "unregistered" means,
using the above verbiage. But then it could just be me getting confused by that
term. :) Your call in the end.