Eric Whiting wrote:

> This generation number thing confuses/kills a single solaris 2.8 NFS
> client for something as simple as doing a ./configure of bonnie++ on a
> linux NFSV2 server. Neil Brown observed the same problem on a Solaris
> 2.6 client. I can't ./configure bonnie++ no matter what I try without
> this generation number patch. It doesn't seem to be optional for me. Yet
> it is true that only certain actions trigger the bug -- but ./configure
> is a common activity in my world.

Smells like a bug somewhere. Lack of inode generation numbers should not
cause this if there is only a single client and no other concurrent
access to the filesystem after this single client have booted.

My guess is a NFS client cache management bug, hidden by having support
for inode generation numbers on the server.

But still, inode generation number are more or less required for
"guaranteed" proper NFS operation.

--
Henrik Nordstrom