On Monday, March 04, 2002 02:04:52 AM +0100 Matthias Andree
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Oleg Drokin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Yes, it is slow, but overal disk throughput of 7M/sec suggests this is
>> old drive. Old drives tend to have worse seeking speed than today's drives.
>
> But how much seeking is done on one 650 MB file that's been written onto
> an empty partition? I presume, not too much.

Ok, I think Oleg has the right idea then.  What happens is, all the
tree nodes go at the start of the disk, and the data blocks are after
the 10% mark.  So, you're probably seeking between the tree nodes and
the data blocks.

He and I have been trading patches to be smarter about reading
the metadata, I can't demonstrate the slow down here, but he can.  So,
hopefully we'll be able to send you something this week.

-chris