On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 02:58:34PM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:

| On Sun, 2002-04-21 at 21:39, Phil Howard wrote:
| > On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 02:07:33AM +0100, Matthew Toseland wrote:
| >
| > | Ummm, LVM snapshots? (man lvcreate).
| >
| > No.  Nothing to do with LVM.
| >

| Doing it safely will require something like lvm or evms snapshots.  You
| could do the sector by sector copy and then run reiserfsck
| --rebuild-tree.  The latest versions of reiserfsprogs are faster, the
| speed relative to a search for updated files will depend on your data
| set.
|
| More importantly you just don't get a consistent copy, regardless of the
| FS you choose.  I wouldn't consider a sector by sector copy on a mounted
| FS a valid backup of any type of filesystem, especially not a tree based
| one.

I've never have a problem doing this with ext2 filesystems.  By comparison
I have had ext2 filesystems totally corrupted by just a power-reset.

But I'm starting to think that with reiserfs, I need to go back to rsync
as the backup mechanism.  Some memory leak and stalling problems with rsync
seem to be fixed, now.

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Texas, USA | http://phil.ipal.org/     |